Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Chance Encounter

I was in Chicago last week for the annual shareholder meeting of my employer. I oversee the execution of the meeting with the capable, professional help of staff and a production company that arranges for the set, lighting, visual productions, etc. My friend and colleague Bill is an owner of the production company. Bill is 75 and not even considering slowing down, let alone retiring. I consider Bill family. As such, I've been praying for, and a few times with, him for many years. Bill is a skeptic when it comes to religion -- and for some good reasons. I simply want him to know truth; the most fundamental truth of who Jesus was, is, and always will be. I want Bill in heaven with me.

We've had some good conversations over the years, but there's always a stiff-arm to the idea of accepting such a "crazy" idea. Bill is a self-made, self-sufficient man. They (as I personally know well!) are the toughest to bring to an understanding of their own need and the provision God offers.

So, I pray, and I try to model God's character to Bill.

But last week, an open door came in a remarkable way. Stay with me on this one...

Bill was getting his shoes shined in the hotel. As Bill often does with strangers, he had made fast friends with the shoe shine man. As I came down the hall, Bill hollered, "Ann, Ann, you have to meet Jason."

I headed over to the shoe shine stand and Bill introduced me to Jason, a former Marine (I guess you're always a Marine, right?) who coaches a youth track team, writes poetry, and shines shoes in the Hilton Chicago.

Now, I hate to admit this, but I would have never bothered to meet Jason had Bill not flagged me down. I would have walked right by him dozens of times during the week. But this "chance encounter" was prearranged.

You see, as we discussed Jason's desire to help kids, he quoted Scripture. I answered, "Amen, brother." We made eye contact in acknowledgment of our shared commitment to the Lord.

Jason then proceeded to share a poem with me. His poem was titled, "Who am I?" It was a beautiful summary of Jesus' birth, death, and resurrection. It was the gospel as "in your face" as it gets -- all of this with Bill still on the shoe shine stand.

While Jason spoke, I prayed for Bill to have open ears and an open heart.

I don't know if Bill took the message to heart, but I do know it was spoken more directly and beautifully than any conversation I might have tried to orchestrate.

Days later, Brad and I were headed out to dinner and Jason was at his stand. I walked over and asked him if he remembered Bill. He did. I told him of the years I've prayed, and I thanked him for his boldness in powerfully delivering the good news. Jason's eyes, and mine, filled with tears as he thanked me for letting him know.

In a week that involved reporting billions of dollars in sales, eating like royalty, staying in opulent "digs," taking in top-notch entertainment, and glad-handing with nearly 1,000 meeting guests, it was the encounter with Jason, a man not at all defined by his occupation, that will stay with me...and, I pray, will stay with Bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment