Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Watermelon craving upsets the apple cart

After accepting God’s specific unconditional love for me and accepting the enduring love of other human beings who knew all of me and loved me anyway, I was happy. That was three years ago. I had no idea how much better it could and would get!

I had started running and was really getting into great shape, which added to my happiness. After a run one late summer day, I went to Meijer to buy watermelon. There, I ran into a former co-worker and friend, Dennis.

We hadn’t seen each other in a couple years, so we chatted in the produce section to catch up on each other’s life. At one point he said, “I have this friend you should meet. Every time I see him, I think of you. You two have a lot in common.”

My internal response was, “Dude, I haven’t had a date in two years. My life is going well. Who wants to ruin that?” But I said, “Really? It’s nice that you’d think of me.”

We dropped it and went our separate shopping ways.

I didn’t think much more about it until three months later when my phone rang. It was Dennis.
“Remember that friend I told you about? I had lunch with him today. You have to meet him!” he said.

Internally, I responded, “I don’t want to do this.” To Dennis I said, “Fine. I’ll get the monkey off my back so I can say I’ve been on a date.”

We set up a date. Both of us called our best friends on the way to the restaurant asking for prayer and how to bring up the “God thing.” Both best friends told us to relax and let things happen.

They did.

We talked for four hours – mostly about God and his impact in our lives.

I had met a man, who is now my husband of two years, who doesn’t need superwoman and who chose me because of how God is reflected in my life. Plus, he still loves me in the times when God isn’t reflected well in my life.

It’s remains a process of transformation in me. I default to superwoman under stress. I still get caught up in lies from the past whispered in my ear. But I do know that God put Brad and I together to really love each other – which includes all the good stuff -- but also to expose and pull the pesky weeds when they start to grow in our lives. It’s continual work, and it grows us closer to God and to each other. I am so grateful for all of it.

Come back to see the rest of the story about the “weed patches” that have tested our faith and resolve!

No comments:

Post a Comment