Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My Friend Jerry - Part 2

God came to Jeremiah when he was a boy. He told Jerry that his purpose in life was to tell the people in Jerusalem and all of the country at the time to come back to him. They were living life without acknowledging God. Jeremiah was told that he should continue to repeat God’s message -- over and over and over. He was also told that the very few people would respond.

Jerry responded like any rational person would: “No thanks, God! I’m too young. This doesn’t sound like the life for me.”

But God said, “Yes, you -- dude. (Ok, that’s a paraphrase!) Even before I formed you in your mother’s womb, you were set apart for this mission -- to speak my word to the nations.”

Jerry’s mission was to be a truth-teller, without concern over the outcome. The results were up to God. The results are always God’s responsibility. Jeremiah was simply called to obey God. That is what each of us are called to do -- to obey God.

We each have a mission -- a specific role that only you can accomplish. And we have God’s support to see us through. Your mission matters…and it starts and ends with obedience.

And as simple as obedience might sound, it requires us to be melted of all of our selfishness, anger, and fear and molded into the character of God. It’s like a piece of metal being forged in a fire.

Not everyone leaps at the chance to sign up for that training camp -- but those who do find a richness and fullness to life that money, homes, possessions, jobs, and even families can never provide. Men and women who do let God guide and mold them are never, ever alone. Do you have the heart to be one of them?

Because Jerry said “yes” to God’s mission for his life, his character was crafted by the master-craftsman:

Jerry was strong because of God’s strength
He took the challenge of being transformed into a “fortified bronze wall” according to the book of Jeremiah (1:18-19 and 15:20). It requires “forging” to become a bronze wall… God promised to be always with him and to save him -- not from heartache, but from being overcome by evil. God repeatedly tells him, “I am with you and I will rescue you.”

Jerry had hope (Lam 3:19-25)
“I remember my affliction and my wandering -- the bitterness... I remember, and my soul is downcast…” he said. “Yet… I have hope because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning. Great is your faithfulness (God).”
Jerry’s hope was not in himself, his family, his country or his lotto numbers; it was in God.

Jerry was obedient. He kept going despite his circumstances. (17:16 - “I have not run away from being your shepherd”). He spent 23 years “truth telling” with no response! How did he do it? He knew it was truth whether or not people responded to it. He clung to truth.

Jerry was strong, he had hope, he was obedient -- and this is critical --
Jerry was honest…open…real. He cried out. At one point, he was weary and concerned that God has forgotten him. He said, “Remember me and come for me. I don’t want to be alone.” God assured him again that he was with him. Jeremiah got upset again and begged God to get on with accomplishing what he planned to do -- to bring judgment against the evil nations opposing Israel. He was tired and lonely. Jeremiah eventually reached desperation after being arrested -- again -- and put in stocks and publicly mocked for announcing God’s judgment -- doom and gloom that has not materialized. He launched a powerful, honest, gut wrenching rant at God. In Jeremiah 20:7-13 we hear his heart:

O LORD, you deceived me, and I was deceived; you overpowered me and prevailed. I am ridiculed all day long; everyone mocks me. Whenever I speak, I cry out proclaiming violence and destruction. So the word of the LORD has brought me insult and reproach all day long.

Need that interpreted? “You got me into this and it’s killing me! I’m sick and tired, and I can’t take it anymore.”

But if I say, "I will not mention him or speak any more in his name," his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot.

What’s he saying? “If I could go back on our ‘deal,’ God, I would. But I’m stuck! You are inside the marrow of my bones and as much as I hurt and feel this intense loneliness, I HAVE TO do what you have asked me to do.”

I hear many whispering, "Terror on every side! Report him! Let's report him!" All my friends are waiting for me to slip, saying, "Perhaps he will be deceived; then we will prevail over him and take our revenge on him."

Interpretation: “God, do you see how bad it is for me? Do you care?

But the LORD is with me like a mighty warrior; so my persecutors will stumble and not prevail… Sing to the LORD! Give praise to the LORD! He rescues the life of the needy from the hands of the wicked.

He's saying: Despite how I feel -- this is what I know: You are God. Our praise honors God and changes us…

There’s more… come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment