Monday, March 7, 2011

A Fruitful Fast


I don't know how you feel about fasting. Let me simply say that I respect those who do fast and pray to find spiritual breakthrough. Don't ask me to join you, however, because I get that "If I hold my breath long enough, mom will give me the cookie" feeling when asked to join someone else's fast.




But I started a 30-day fast February 28, and the results are already proving powerful.

I'm fasting from my right to be right.

Of late (as even my blog posts reveal), I've felt attacked, maligned, and marginalized in a number of venues. But as I read a book on Joseph of the Old Testament, I became acutely aware that my persecutions are mild compared to his or, perhaps, most people's. I have had a really difficult time not taking "things" personally and reacting in a way that's either defensive or labels my attacker as clearly unaware or even stupid. I've justified my judgments by claiming I was right.

Interestingly, I MAY be right in many cases. But as the book pointed out: "Greatness is rarely determined by a person's achievements, but always by his (her) attitude."

I want to be one remembered as having a great attitude -- a Christ-like attitude -- not as one who was "right." So, the fast began. And immediately -- as though I'd given up potato chips -- I was given opportunity to indulge on a feast. I have, through God's guidance and power, resisted those opportunities. And you know what? When I wanted to defend myself but remained silent, someone else stepped up to speak on my behalf. When I've wanted to make a point of being "right" -- I've let my need go and the feeling passed quickly.

This laying down my rights thing is an on-going story/need in my life, but I'm seeing -- and liking -- the fruit this time. God is my defender. He is with me and for me. I don't have to fight; just obey. Keep reminding me, Lord!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you and thanks for sharing this! It's really made me think about how often I need to be right and what that looks like both to pursue it and to give it up. Hmmm... I think I'd like to hear more (and to read the book).

    ReplyDelete