Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Realist or Defeatist?

I am a firm believer that facing reality as objectively as humanly possible is a good thing. I believe in seeking and accepting truth, regardless of how I feel about it. That "bent" makes me a fierce defender of God's Word as Truth. It can also cause me to sometimes prepare for the worst in a way that limits hope for the best.

I'm a realist. So when my 11-year-old spaniel, Calli, was diagnosed as having significant changes in her liver consistent with cancer, I immediately braced for the inevitable.

If you've followed this blog, you know I have numerous friends who have fought or are fighting courageous battles with cancer. I hate cancer. I mean I really hate it. Add to that the fact that I've had to euthanize four canine family members in the last nine years, and you might see why I simply resigned myself to enduring another loss. My realism helps me cope, but it doesn't always leave room for the hope that is so vital for understanding that God's in charge.

Calli had a biopsy a week ago today. Yesterday, the Vet called and left a message for me that the test results were back. I put off returning the call until I couldn't stand it anymore.

"I have good news," were the first words out of his mouth. "There is no cancer. She has a form of hepatitis that needs intensive antibiotic treatment. But if she responds, she can fully recover. In fact, the tests show that the liver is starting to regenerate itself."

Wow.

I hadn't left open the possibility for good news in my brain or heart.

As I celebrated Calli's good news, it hit me that in what is a good quest to face reality, I need to leave open the possibility of surprise.

My professor and friend Bob always says, "God's grace never ceases to surprise or sustain." He's right. I won't have Calli forever. And the fact is that she's been the most high maintenance, neurotic dog I've ever encountered. But God is using her to teach me...and for that I am grateful, and increasingly hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment